• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Saturday, August 30, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Your Abortion Report Against Military Fake, Federal Govt Tells Reuters

Says it's ploy to demoralise fighting forces

by Tunde Oguntola
3 years ago
in News
Nigeria
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

The federal government has said that the Reuters’ report that the Nigerian military ran a secret mass abortion programme in the war against Boko Haram was fake news, disinformation, and a ploy to demoralise and distract the fighting forces.

Advertisement

The federal government stressed that the allegation against the Nigerian Army without evidence was dangerous.

The minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, disclosed the government’s position on the report on Monday in Abuja at the 10th edition of the PMB Administration Scorecard Series (2015-2023).

The PMB Administration Scorecard Series was launched in October as part of an overall programme to showcase and document the numerous achievements of the President Buhari Administration.

LEADERSHIP reports that Reuters after interviewing 33 women and girls, claimed that 10,000 such abortions have been carried out from 2013 to date on women and girls.

RELATED

Rogo: Between Misinformation and Facts

Rogo: Between Misinformation and Facts

2 hours ago
Rules Or Repression? Inside Nigeria’s University Dress Code Crisis

Rules Or Repression? Inside Nigeria’s University Dress Code Crisis

2 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

But, Mohammed said the news agency made the grave allegation without a scintilla of evidence, citing only anonymous sources and the reported review of phantom ‘documents’.

“The agency claimed that its investigation was based on interviews with 33 women and girls.

“How do they use interviews with 33 women and girls to arrive at the bogus claim of 10,000 abortions?” he queried.

ADVERTISEMENT

“And in a further indication that the figure of abortions quoted was arbitrary or possibly conjured, the agency first put the figure at 12,000 before settling for 10,000,” he said.

Mohammed reiterated the federal government’s position that there was no ‘secret, systematic and illegal abortion programme’ being run by the military in the North-East or anywhere across the country.

He also queried the basis for the so-called investigation at a time the military had been recording successes in decimating the terrorists and rescuing abducted persons.

“The Federal Government hereby categorically states that there is no ‘secret, systematic and illegal abortion programme’ being run by our military in the North East or anywhere across the country. We also hereby reject the accusation of running an abortion programme levelled against our military.

“For the record, the Nigerian military has rescued 11 Chibok girls with all their children; 2,018 other persons comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1019 children), while 82,645 persons; comprising 16,621 male fighters, 24,638 women and 41,386 children, have surrendered. The military has also neutralized 494 terrorists (note that this does not include terrorists neutralized through airstrikes and terrorists’ infighting).

“Why is this news agency not playing up this positive news but instead, they choose to give prominence to a phantom abortion story? Is this a ploy to demoralize and distract our fighting forces? Is it a strategy to set the world against Nigeria and cut off the support that is critical to crushing terrorists?” he asked.

He added that only the news agency can answer the questions.

“But we stand by our military, which has served meritoriously at home and at regional and global peacekeeping
operations from 1960 to date. We know that military operations in the Northeast are not arbitrary but based on the military’s Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and Rules of Engagement (ROE), among others.

“Where any proven infraction or criminal act has been committed by any soldier, the law has always taken its course. But it is beyond the pale and downright dangerous to accuse a nation’s military, without any verifiable evidence, of massive illegal abortions and infanticide,” he added.


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


SendShare10174Tweet6359Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Atiku In Nasarawa, Promises To Improve Infrastructure, Employ Youths, Women

Next Post

Lagos Begins Rebuilding Historic Igbosere Court Burnt During EndSARS Violence

Tunde Oguntola

Tunde Oguntola

Tunde Oguntola is an award-winning journalist with over 10 years of experience in print and broadcast media. He is also a political correspondent and public affairs analyst. His Twitter handle is @TUNEXOguntola

You May Like

Rogo: Between Misinformation and Facts
News

Rogo: Between Misinformation and Facts

2025/08/30
Rules Or Repression? Inside Nigeria’s University Dress Code Crisis
Feature

Rules Or Repression? Inside Nigeria’s University Dress Code Crisis

2025/08/30
ASUU Laments Operations Of Varsities Without Governing Councils
News

We’re Running Out Of Patience – ASUU Tells FG

2025/08/30
Thai Court Removes PM Over Leaked Phone Call
News

Thai Court Removes PM Over Leaked Phone Call

2025/08/30
Despite Threats Of Reprisal, South East Calm
News

Troops Rescue 117 Hostages, Arrest 150 Terrorists In 1 Week-DHQ

2025/08/30
Visa Ban Not Enough
News

Visa Restrictions Retarding Quest For US Travel

2025/08/30
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Rogo: Between Misinformation and Facts

Nigeria At TICAD9: Forging A Stronger Partnership With Japan

Rules Or Repression? Inside Nigeria’s University Dress Code Crisis

University Lecturers Are Neck-deep In Loans – ASUU Chair

We’re Running Out Of Patience – ASUU Tells FG

Thai Court Removes PM Over Leaked Phone Call

Troops Rescue 117 Hostages, Arrest 150 Terrorists In 1 Week-DHQ

Visa Restrictions Retarding Quest For US Travel

Lecturers Seek University-based Pension Scheme

Minister Defends Price Hike, Says Ugandan Woman Purchased Nigerian Passport With $1,000

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.