• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Saturday, August 30, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Kaduna Train Attack: After 6 Months In Captivity, Remaining 23 Victims Regain Freedom

by Isaiah Benjamin, Jonathan Nda-Isaiah, Ejike Ejike and Tarkaa David
3 years ago
in Cover Stories
TRAIN ATTACK
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

There is relief in affected families and across Nigeria after terrorists yesterday released the remaining 23 passengers on the Abuja-Kaduna train abducted on March 28, 2022.

Advertisement

The release comes after they had spent six months and eight days in the terrorists’ captivity during which they were tortured and subjected to dehumanising treatment.

A statement by the Chief of Defence Staff Action Committee (CDSAC), signed by its secretary, Prof Usman Yusuf, said the victims were released by their abductors yesterday at about 4pm.

The statement reads: “I am pleased to announce to the nation and the world that at 1600Hrs (4pm) on Wednesday, the seven-man Presidential Committee assembled by the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General L. E. O. Irabor, secured the release and took custody of all the 23 remaining passengers held hostage by Boko Haram terrorists following the attack on the Abuja to Kaduna train on 28-03-2022.

“The nation owes a debt of gratitude to the Nigerian Military under the leadership of the CDS who conceived and guided the operation from start to finish. All sister security agencies and the Federal Ministry of Transportation contributed immensely to this operation,” he said, adding that the unwavering support of President Muhammadu Buhari helped to make the release possible.

RELATED

September 23 Resumption: Angry Reps Plan Showdown With Speaker Over Staff Hiring, Constituents’ Funding

September 23 Resumption: Angry Reps Plan Showdown With Speaker Over Staff Hiring, Constituents’ Funding

51 minutes ago
‘Well-structured Pension System Critical For Dignity of Public Servants In States’

Non-remittance Of Pension Deductions: Workers Suffer As Defaulting Employers Pay N14.348bn Penalties

55 minutes ago
ADVERTISEMENT

Aminu Lawal Othman, spokesperson for the train attack victims, who confirmed their release to LEADERSHIP, said the operation was purely a military affair, even as he thanked Nigerians for their prayers and support during their trying times.

He said no ransom was paid by any member of the families.

LEADERSHIP reports that the end to this ugly chapter in Nigeria’s history came a month after the federal government repatriated from Egypt Alhaji Tukur Mamu, a self-appointed hostage negotiator who had been overseeing the piecemeal release of the train attack kidnap victims after huge ransoms were paid to the terrorists.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Department of State Services, which has detained Mamu, the publisher of Desert Herald Magazine and aide to Islamic cleric, Sheik Ahmad Gumi, accused him of belonging to an international terrorist network, with the government promising that engagement with the terrorists would continue towards the total release of the entire victims.

 

We’re Yet To See Our Loved Ones – Families

Meanwhile, the families of the released 23 kidnapped victims have confirmed the release but said they are yet to see them.

LEADERSHIP recalls that about 63 passengers were kidnapped on the 28th March, 2022, following an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna bound train during which nine of the passengers were killed.

Until the release of the remaining 23 victims, about 40 of the Kidnapped passengers were released in batches, some afterpayment of ransom that ran into hundreds of millions.

Abdulfatai Jimoh, who is the leader of the family of the Kidnapped victims and another family member, Sani Lawal, confirmed knowledge of the release of the remaining passengers but added that they were yet to get in touch with them.

“We got the news of their release but we are yet to get in touch with them; we pray that it is true that they are all released,” Jimoh said.

 

PMB Lauds Military On Release Of Kaduna Train Hostages

President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his gladness and that of the entire nation with the military as well as other security agencies on the safe release of the remaining 23 kidnapped train passengers held in captivity by Boko Haram terrorists.

In a reaction to the news of the safe release of the hostages in line with his earlier directives, President Buhari, in a statement by his media aide, Garba Shehu, said the nation owed the military and all other security and intelligence agencies a debt of gratitude for the successful operation leading to the release of the hostages, saying these agencies had shown outstanding capabilities over this period that the whole world will not fail to take note of.

“This country’s Armed Forces are as good as any. Given needed support and encouragement as we have been doing, there is no task that they cannot accomplish. I commend them for this remarkable outcome,” the president said.

In expressing satisfaction at the successful deployment of both kinetic and non-kinetic processes leading to the eventual safe release of the remaining hostages, President Buhari also congratulated the families of the victims for having them back alive.

He directed that the relief that comes to the nation arising from the closure of this unfortunate saga must be sustained at all times, all over the federation.

The president also credited his government for resolving the issue and the de-escalation of terrorism, banditry and kidnapping that surged recently, giving assurances that the efforts will be sustained.

 

Abuja-Kaduna Train Service To Resume Soon – NRC

Following the release of the remaining 23 passengers held hostage from the ill-fated Abuja-Kaduna train, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) yesterday said service on the Abuja-Kaduna line would be restored soon.

Speaking to LEADERSHIP on phone last night, the spokesperson of the NRC, Yakubu Mahmood, said, “We will resume soon by God’s grace.”

The minister of transportation, Muazu Jaji Sambo, had said the train services would not resume until everyone abducted on March 28, 2022, is released.

 


Join Our WhatsApp Channel

Nigerians can now earn US Dollars monthly by acquiring domains cheaply and reselling for profits up to $18,000 (nearly ₦30Million). Beneficiaries include professionals, entrepreneurs, civil servants and more. Click here to start.


SendShare10219Tweet6387Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

APC Governors Blame Campaign Council For Usurping Duties Of Party Leadership

Next Post

A Commission For Election Fraudsters

Isaiah Benjamin, Jonathan Nda-Isaiah, Ejike Ejike and Tarkaa David

Isaiah Benjamin, Jonathan Nda-Isaiah, Ejike Ejike and Tarkaa David

You May Like

September 23 Resumption: Angry Reps Plan Showdown With Speaker Over Staff Hiring, Constituents’ Funding
Cover Stories

September 23 Resumption: Angry Reps Plan Showdown With Speaker Over Staff Hiring, Constituents’ Funding

2025/08/30
‘Well-structured Pension System Critical For Dignity of Public Servants In States’
Cover Stories

Non-remittance Of Pension Deductions: Workers Suffer As Defaulting Employers Pay N14.348bn Penalties

2025/08/30
Obasanjo Blames Successors For Inability To Curb Corruption
Cover Stories

Obasanjo Blames Successors For Inability To Curb Corruption

2025/08/30
FG, ASUU Dispute Lingers As Minister Denies ‘Past Agreements’
Cover Stories

FG, ASUU Dispute Lingers As Minister Denies ‘Past Agreements’

2025/08/29
17-yr-old Nafisa Beats 69 Countries To Win Global English Contest
Cover Stories

FG Awards 17-year-Old Nafisa N200,000 For Clinching World Title In English

2025/08/29
Mechanical Engineer From Kwara — All You Need To Know About New NNPCL Boss Bashir Ojulari
Cover Stories

NNPCL Planning Joint Operations With Private Refiners To Rescue Refineries – Ojulari

2025/08/29
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Rogo: Between Misinformation and Facts

Nigeria At TICAD9: Forging A Stronger Partnership With Japan

Rules Or Repression? Inside Nigeria’s University Dress Code Crisis

University Lecturers Are Neck-deep In Loans – ASUU Chair

We’re Running Out Of Patience – ASUU Tells FG

Thai Court Removes PM Over Leaked Phone Call

Troops Rescue 117 Hostages, Arrest 150 Terrorists In 1 Week-DHQ

Visa Restrictions Retarding Quest For US Travel

Lecturers Seek University-based Pension Scheme

Minister Defends Price Hike, Says Ugandan Woman Purchased Nigerian Passport With $1,000

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.