• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Sunday, August 31, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Aviation Workers Ask Tinubu To Cancel Airport Concessions Nationwide

by Yusuf Babalola
3 weeks ago
in Business
President Bola Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu

Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

Aviation workers in the country have condemned draft agreement documents on airport concessions, citing a lack of transparency and stakeholders’ input.

Advertisement

The workers noted that the process of the airport concessioning is flawed from the appointment of the concessionaire to date, as they are not aware of how and when the bid was advertised.

They also accused the federal government of sidelining the workers and the unions and  ignoring their demands.

The workers said the right procedure is to advertise the bids in national dailies and allow up to six months so that anybody that wants to bid will come, “sit around the table with the staff and consider the staff welfare, the labour-related matters”

LEADERSHIP reports that during a Town Hall meeting earlier in the year, the minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo,  assured the unions that the federal government would be transparent in its concession process.

RELATED

Ojulari’s First 100 Days at NNPC Ltd: A Bold Start Anchored On Reform, Transparency, And Clean Energy

Petroleum Marketers Warns Of Oil Market Structure Disruption

35 minutes ago
5 Most Lucrative Businesses In Nigeria For 2024

Naira Sees Slight Improvement In August With Reserves Rising

37 minutes ago
ADVERTISEMENT

Keyamo had said the unions’ representatives would be involved in discussions surrounding the concession of the airports, promising to instruct his Special Assistant on Public-Private Partnerships to keep the unions’ leaders informed about the plans.

But, speaking at Freedom Square at the headquarters of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), in Lagos, on Wednesday, during the union Congress, the union leaders accused the minister of sidelining the workers and the unions.

Addressing workers, the President of the National Association of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), Comrade Ben Nnabue, called for the restart of the whole process and allowed for bids by interested organisations in a transparent manner.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They should start afresh, so that all Nigerians who want to participate in the ownership of the airport will participate.

And all the airports have to come together, weigh them, and know their value”.

Nnabue said the unions are not aware of the process being used for the concession process and called for the resolution of all labour issues before delving into the concession.

He added that labour demands are not being attended to, while the minister has announced that he has gotten approval from FEC to concession the Enugu airport.

“So we just want the world to know that before any concession can take effect, the labour issues must be discussed and handled.”

He noted that the process is flawed from the appointment of the concessionaire to date, as they are not aware of how and when the bid was advertised.

“The airport belongs to Nigerians. It’s a federal government structure or institution. So you cannot, at midnight, decide on who to give the airport to without declaring it open to all Nigerians. So, we are demanding that they cancel the concession process, advertise for the concession globally.”

According to Nnabue, this will ensure that all interested parties will bid for the concession.

“We have also requested that we cherry-pick, the airport is not the best because the rate value picked from one airport is used to better another airport”

Also addressing the workers, the president general of the Association of Nigerian Aviation Professionals (ANAP) Comrade Alale Adedayo, condemned the way and manner the whole process of concession was being executed by the minister without carrying them along despite his earlier promise to involve them in the process.

Comrade Adedayo called for a reversal of the concession process and make it transparent.

“Let there be national dailies, advertisements. Then for a good six months so that anybody that wants to bid will come, sit around the table with the staff and consider the staff welfare, the labour-related matters”

“Our members are not part of the committee, they dodged, they pushed outside, they did not even call us for any meeting again. Before you know it, they rushed down to the FEC and got their approval.”

“We have been sidelined. I’m telling you, we have been sidelined. That just twice we attended, even if it was by force, we got ourselves involved in that meeting.

He gave the assurance during the Aviation Stakeholders’ Forum held in Lagos at the weekend.


Join Our WhatsApp Channel



Tags: Bola Ahmed Tinubu
SendShare10175Tweet6360Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Cross-Border Trading: Stakeholder Urges Travel Agents To Seek FG’s Intervention

Next Post

Ahead Of Take-off, Customs Engage Importers, Operators On AEO Migration

Yusuf Babalola

Yusuf Babalola

You May Like

Ojulari’s First 100 Days at NNPC Ltd: A Bold Start Anchored On Reform, Transparency, And Clean Energy
Business

Petroleum Marketers Warns Of Oil Market Structure Disruption

2025/08/31
5 Most Lucrative Businesses In Nigeria For 2024
Business

Naira Sees Slight Improvement In August With Reserves Rising

2025/08/31
‘What Nigeria Should Do To Advance Gas Sector Growth’
Business

Group Offers Path To In-country Oil & Gas Training

2025/08/31
WiM-Africa Lists Gains, Sets Goals
Business

Women In Mining Firm Up Plan To Resolve Sectoral Challenges

2025/08/31
MTN Allots Incentive Shares, As Trading Opens With N4bn Loss
Business

MTN Nigeria Launches Initiative To Promote Online Safety For Children

2025/08/31
Firm Seeks Stronger Laws, Govt Collaboration To Improve Safety Practices
Business

Firm Seeks Stronger Laws, Govt Collaboration To Improve Safety Practices

2025/08/31
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

Petroleum Marketers Warns Of Oil Market Structure Disruption

Naira Sees Slight Improvement In August With Reserves Rising

Nigeria’s Creative Sector To Grow To $13.6bn By 2028 – Report

Group Offers Path To In-country Oil & Gas Training

Women In Mining Firm Up Plan To Resolve Sectoral Challenges

FUTATH CMD Harps On Training, Service Delivery In Health Sector

Minister Tasks Committee On Tinubu’s Sustainable Energy Agenda

MTN Nigeria Launches Initiative To Promote Online Safety For Children

Firm Seeks Stronger Laws, Govt Collaboration To Improve Safety Practices

Gas Flaring Falls To 7.16% As Daily Production Hits 7.59bn Cubic Feet In July

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.