• Hausa Edition
  • Podcast
  • Conferences
  • LeVogue Magazine
  • Business News
  • Print Advert Rates
  • Online Advert Rates
  • Contact Us
Sunday, August 31, 2025
Leadership Newspapers
Read in Hausa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Leadership Newspapers
No Result
View All Result

Wimbledon Expansion Plan Under Attack From Local Campaigners

by Leadership News
2 months ago
in Sport
wimbledon
Share on WhatsAppShare on FacebookShare on XTelegram

Wimbledon’s plans to expand the grounds for the world’s oldest and most prestigious Grand Slam in tennis came under scrutiny yesterday as campaigners’ opposition to the move began at the High Court in London.

Advertisement

The campaign group, Save Wimbledon Park, is taking legal action over planning permission granted to the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC), which wants to treble the size of its main site in a 200 million-pound ($271.5-million) project.

The expansion would feature 39 new courts, including an 8,000-seat show court, could increase daily capacity from 42,000 to 50,000 people, and allow qualifying rounds to be held on site, which has been home to the Championships since 1877.

The AELTC’s plans to redevelop a former golf course which it owns are supported by several leading players, including Novak Djokovic, and some local residents. Planning permission was approved by the Greater London Authority (GLA) last year.

But Save Wimbledon Park says the GLA failed to properly take account of restrictions on redeveloping the land, which were agreed when the AELTC’s parent company bought the Wimbledon Park golf course freehold in 1993.

RELATED

Premier League Addresses Fulham’s Disallowed Goal In Chelsea Encounter

Premier League Addresses Fulham’s Disallowed Goal In Chelsea Encounter

6 hours ago
CHAN 2025: Morocco Beat Madagascar To Win Record 3rd Title

CHAN 2025: Morocco Beat Madagascar To Win Record 3rd Title

7 hours ago
ADVERTISEMENT

The group’s lawyer Sasha White said the land is part of a registered park of special historic interest and located in a conservation area, telling the court: “You could not have a more protected piece of land in London.”

About 250 of the group’s supporters gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice before the two-day hearing, with one holding a placard bearing three-time Wimbledon men’s singles champion John McEnroe’s catchphrase: “You cannot be serious.”
Wendy Wright, a local resident, told Reuters that the expansion could lead to other pieces of protected land in the British capital being developed.

“If one goes down then it sets a legal precedent for all the others,” she said outside court.
Lawyers representing the GLA and the AELTC, however, say the plans were lawfully approved and the impact of any restrictions on the land were not relevant to planning permission.

ADVERTISEMENT

The AELTC also argues that the planned expansion would have significant benefits for the local community and secure the future of Wimbledon at its current site.

The start of the hearing on Tuesday – which coincides with the singles quarter-finals – is one of two at the High Court concerning Wimbledon’s expansion plans, with a vital hearing due in January.

In that case, brought by the AELTC against Save Wimbledon Park, the club is seeking a ruling that the golf course land is not subject to certain restrictions – and accepts that the restrictions would make expansion impossible if they were to apply.


Join Our WhatsApp Channel



Tags: Wimbledon
SendShare10168Tweet6355Share
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Sani-Inabo Advances To Round 16 At VEMP National Open Tennis Championship

Next Post

Mbappe, PSG Set For Club World Cup Reunion As Real Madrid Eye Final

Leadership News

Leadership News

You May Like

Premier League Addresses Fulham’s Disallowed Goal In Chelsea Encounter
EPL

Premier League Addresses Fulham’s Disallowed Goal In Chelsea Encounter

2025/08/30
CHAN 2025: Morocco Beat Madagascar To Win Record 3rd Title
Sport

CHAN 2025: Morocco Beat Madagascar To Win Record 3rd Title

2025/08/30
Chelsea Revokes Jackson’s Proposed Loan Move To Bayern
EPL

Chelsea Revokes Jackson’s Proposed Loan Move To Bayern

2025/08/30
Sunderland Score 2 Late Goals To Beat Brentford
EPL

Sunderland Score 2 Late Goals To Beat Brentford

2025/08/30
Fernandes Scores Twice To Help Man Utd Overcome Sheffield Utd
EPL

Fernandes Injury-time Penalty Gives Man Utd Victory Over Burnley

2025/08/30
Bournemouth End Tottenham’s Unbeaten Start
EPL

Bournemouth End Tottenham’s Unbeaten Start

2025/08/30
Leadership Conference advertisement

LATEST

2027: We Must Close Ranks, Mobilise Support For Tinubu – Aiyedatiwa

UI VC Underscores Staying Connected With One’s Roots

We’re Raising Leaders Who’ll Rise Above Self-interests, Says Sanwo-Olu

LASG Backs WBFA’s School Hygiene Drive To Combat Infectious Diseases

MURIC Condemns Attacks On Oluwo

Red Cross Urges Sustained Search For Missing Persons

Kaduna Govt Dredges River Kaduna To Tackle Flood

North-East Governors Tackle Insecurity, Poverty At Jalingo Meeting

Varsity Lecturers Have Become Uber Drivers, Beggars – ASUU Chairman

Cleric Calls For Enlightenment On Child Spacing

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Football
  • Others
    • LeVogue Magazine
    • Conferences
    • National Economy
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Leadership Media Group - All Rights Reserved.